Thursday 2 September 2010

Bear Musings

Jacob hard at work


Hello Etsy Ireland. My name is Jacob (aka the big Swede), and I am a big cuddly brown bear living in Belfast. I had a rather quiet life with lots of naps and cuddles, until I suddenly found myself in front of a camera, posing for knitwear.

One rather chilly autumn day, the-person-who-thinks-she-owns-me-but-in-fact-I-wrap-her-around-my-little-paws (just call her Brigitte, ok) decided that I would look rather cute in a photograph wearing her hand-knitted hats, and so I ended up sitting on a chair with a camera stuck in front of my face. A bit of an un-bearly profession, I may admit, but I am cute, of course! I've come to be rather fond of the camera. I like to do my model thang. Smile. Pose. Present the unique knitwear in the best possible light. Attitude. Bear-ti-tude!

I like it a lot when the fanmail comes in. And the treats and the extra cuddles. Wouldn't be a bear if I wouldn't like those!

Being a knitbear model gives me an insight into the trade - and I also get to peek into all those funny books Brigitte's reads to motivate herself. What a strange world this all is.

Being a bear is so much easier.

I've decided to share my beartracks to success with the Etsy Ireland blog readers. Because I'm cute!

  • Be yourself. A bear is only his bear-self. Not the self of another bear. And not what other bears want him to be.
  • Bears are individuals.
  • A bear does what she's best at. Wouldn't waste her time trying to cluck when she can growl so beautifully.
  • A bear takes breaks. And naps.
  • Have you ever seen a stressed bear?
  • To do two things at once is to do neither. You can either craft or nap, and there is time for either!
  • You will never "find" time for anything. If you want time, you must make it, especially for naps and cuddles!

  • Bear hugs. Do I need to say any more?

  • Some days you hug the bear, other days the bear hugs you.
  • A bear doesn't dance nor wear a suit. Not even for hunny or a good steak!
  • A bear has thick skin. But the weaker the bearskin, the bigger the ego!
  • Don't mess with a bear. And don't tickle a napping bear!
  • Bears believe in themselves. They've never heard of self-doubt. A bear is.
  • If something doesn't work, bears don't blame other bears or themselves. They just try something different.
  • Bears don't give up!
  • Most of the shadows of a bear's life are caused when she stands in her own sunshine.
  • If a bear walks down the same path every day, he'll get the same thing again and again.

  • The bear dreams of hunny - then she gets out to get some!

  • Who is afraid of the sting never earns hunny.
  • Make use of your paws, let not advantage slip.

  • A bear is known by the work of his paws.
  • Know the power of your paws.
  • When the going gets tough, the bear gets going (but might have a nap first).
  • Money, influence and position are nothing compared to bearskin, brains, creativity and perseverance (and naps).
  • Sometimes you have to dig deep to get the hunny!
  • The bear who doesn't take risks never gets the sweetest hunny.

  • If you stay in the comfort of your cosy cave, you won't eat nor meet other cute bears!
  • Turbulent times great bears make!
  • Elvis was wrong! Let me be your Teddy Bear, put a chain around my neck and leave me anywhere - who was he kidding?

  • Listen to Baloo - he was right. The bear necessities of life will come to you!

Bear hugs
Jacob

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha I actually did laugh out loud reading this, though there is also some seriously good bear philosophy in there Jacob. Food for thought. Thanks for cheering me up....I think I'll go back to bed for a nap now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob may well be my new life guru - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and funny, and poigniant, a hard mix to pull off...great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this so much I had to read it a few times again. So many 'bear' truths that a person could keep as a mantra. I would love to frame them all and put them on my wall to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm telling you, that bear (currently snoozing on top of my knitting basket) is keeping me sane!

    ReplyDelete