Monday 18 March 2013

Eyes Open Ireland Featured Artist: Anne-Marie O'Rourke

A lot of my work is very ‘Irish’ with references to ancient Celtic design. Perhaps it’s because I have a background in tourism, but I’m very proud of our culture. Near where I live there is a bus stop on Clanbrassil Street (Dublin) and on the wall behind it are Celtic designs in stone. I must have passed them 10,000 times in the past few years. Perhaps that’s really why I’m so fond of spirals and swirls.




The beautiful Irish countryside inspires many a poet and artist and I’m no exception. I love to get out for a hike and living in Dublin it’s easy enough to reach the coast and the hills by public transport. The cliff walks around Howth, North of the city are one of my favourites, especially the lower cliff. The views are stunning in clear weather and the sea breeze clears my head.



To the South, the Dublin hills and forests around Tick Knock and beyond into Wicklow always lift my spirits. Lough Dan, near Roundwood is a tranquil oasis of golden brown, peaty water.

                                  


Nearer to Dublin city, last year, I rediscovered the trail around Bothernabreena Reservoir, just beyond Tallaght. I remember walking it as a child and had no idea this haven was so close to the city. There are two lakes and the public has access to walk past the first and the whole way round the second, larger one.

I’m always inspired by water, whether it be a lake, the Grand Canal, or the sea. In the last two years I discovered the joy of beach combing for sea glass and beach-worn pottery. When wire wrapping a piece, though I let the curves of the shard show the way, at the back of my mind, is always the flow and sway of the water.




For more information about Anne-Marie and her work, visit: 





9 comments:

  1. thanks to Molly of VintageMolllyJewelry for inviting me to send my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiration piece Anne-Marie. Great to see where other artists get their inspiration from. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne-Marie...nice to 'see' in such interview, sometimes the work is not enough and to know that inspires is interesting .
    All the best
    It's good to see ,as well ,how increase our blog ..isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to see so many sights of Dublin. Its one of the few places where you can have a city life but be so close to the beach, the mountains, how can anyone not be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the irishness of your work annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love this post- it's made me homesick ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your work, Anne-Marie.
    And, I appreciate your enthusiasm!
    Molly : )

    ReplyDelete