Thursday 1 September 2011

Scam Alert!

Hello Everybody,


While we all know how wonderful it is to be able to connect with like minded people on the net - we should always be aware that as many good opportunities it presents us with, we have to be aware of the traps laid out for the unsuspecting.  


One of our members have already received three of the messages posted below. Please be extremely wary of any messages that sound like the email below. These have already been reported to Etsy. I have also reported this gmail address to Google for scamming and spam. 


Here is Google's Security Center which is a great resource if you ever find yourself in doubt. In particular searching the user forums for the message you received will typically reveal it as a known scam. 


Stay safe! And below is the suspect message:


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mrs Margaret Ahmad <manager.swift@gmail.com>
Date: 7 August 2011 07:14
Subject: My Dubai Order Purchase
To: reynoldsalexandria@gmail.com



Hi Sales,

Am Mrs Margaret Ahmad from Dubai . I want to place an order from you. I know the difficulties encountered when shipping internationally, But that will not be a problem because i am registered with a shipping company whom i have used severally without any delay nor problems with my purchased-goods. Before i place these order, Could you please confirm if i am able to place the order now and most important: I will only be able to make payment via my MC/Master credit card account and full payment will be made before my forwarding agent make pick up the package as that's how how i work. We are set for payment once shipping and order total is invoiced without no delay. I don't place online orders for security reasons. You will have to quote me and charges will be made to my Mc/card once shipping and purchase cost is confirmed and we proceed to shipment from there.

Await your confirmation.

Warmest Regards.
Mrs Margaret Ahmad

1 comment:

  1. Ugh I get them all the time...I recently got an email saying that they had a budget of €4000 to 'buy yours beautifully hand made products made with love'....I ignore anything that has obviously bad English and asks for any personal details...it's not worth the risk

    ReplyDelete